Anchor Auto-Calibration

Moderator: mikeh9

kevin0932

Anchor Auto-Calibration

Postby kevin0932 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi IndoTraq team or other IndoTraq users,

I got IndoTraq development kit for a basic experiment (Indoor tracking - triangular setup in 3D mode with 4 anchors and 1 tag). From other post and the user guide, the system is supposed to work precisely out of box with auto-calibration enabled.

I am not sure if I understand correctly. Is it the case that after turning on all anchors (master anchor will be turned on last) and with tag 1 turned on, the system will do self-calibration automatically, even without configuring anything on USBTraq or connecting to a PC? How can I check if the auto-calibration was performed successfully? Am I supposed to see the real anchor position data (X,Y,Z in unit of mm) by querying the corresponding commands in Termite?

Currently I am testing with the setup in a very small space, 0.5m * 0.5m * 0.5m cubic volume with four anchors on four vertices. I found that the resulting anchor position data are always zero for all anchors (without setting anchor positions and the auto-mode was enabled on default). The 10002-anchor-to-anchor range data show some values, but is far away from what I am expecting. When I tried to move one of the anchor, the 10002-anchor-to-anchor range data remains the same. It seems that the position-recalculation is not happening. Shall I write any configuration commands to the device to enable it?

After setting the mode and anchor position manually, I can see the 10002-anchor-to-anchor and 10003-tag-to-anchor range data from master anchor, but the values are not what I am expecting. Besides, the tag coordinate and quaternion data can be retrieved from the tag with unideal values.

Do you have any clue on what could cause this? Will the small tracking space lead to wrong values?

Thank you so much if you can share some experience. :P
mikeh9
Site Admin

Re: Anchor Auto-Calibration

Postby mikeh9 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 pm

1. Do you have a 4 anchor system or an 8 anchor system? The number of anchors needs to be selected using USBTraq connected to the master anchor.
2. The system has to be setup correctly on the Anchor Positions tab. Please refer to guide and video on the support page for anchor positioning.
3. All the features of Termite and much more are incorporated into the Terminal tab of USBTraq please use this instead.
4. The current auto calculated anchor positions will show up in the Anchor Positions tab when the system is setup properly.
5. Using a very small space is going to be troublesome.
6. Is your application limited to this small space?
7. What is your application?
kevin0932

Postby kevin0932 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for your response.
1. It is an 8 anchor system but the number of anchors and the number of tags are set by using corresponding commands with WCC to write to the system.
$, 20010, WCC, Number Of Anchors In Use,*
$, 20012, WCC, Number Of Tags In Use,*
2. The system was setup in 4-anchor 3D Triangular mode with corresponding commands and as suggested in the user manual.
$, 20220,WCC, System Setup, *
$, 20028, WCC, AncSetup,*
3. Thanks for the advice. Since the device was borrowed from a friend, I don't have access to USBTraq and just wonder if I can achieve full functionality by using Termite. By the way, is it possible to sign NDA and get access to the Download section in the name of individual (student), not any company?
4. Yes, I understand that auto calculated anchor positions will show up in the Anchor Positions Tab in USBTraq. However, can I check the the current anchor position by querying with the following commands in Termite? Since currently with Termite, I can see the range data for anchor-to-anchor and tag-to-anchor. Just zero values for anchor positions (X,Y,Z).
$, 20021,Anchor Id,* or the data output in type of 10006
5/6/7. Sorry for the misleading information. It is just a small test to get familiar with the IndoTraq system. Our application is to track an object indoor/outdoor in a much larger space. From its specification, the system can track up to 100m Indoors / 200m Outdoors with distance precision of ±5 mm. I am not familiar with the underlying technology, but just wondering how accurate if the system was setup in a relatively small space? Will I get a degraded tracking accuracy if the anchors are put too close to each other? How large should a 3D space be if I want to enjoy the best accuracy?

Thanks a lot for sharing.
mikeh9
Site Admin

Postby mikeh9 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm

What is your email address? I can email you the NDA and then get you access.

I suggest you start with USBTraq, then use serial commands to automate your application. This will save you a ton of time.

Its hard to predict the accuracy of a very small space. The ideal testing space is around 6m x 6m.
kevin0932

Postby kevin0932 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi mikeh9,

That's great! My email is qixuan.zhang@outlook.com

Thanks a lot for your information and great help!

Return to “Hardware Installation”